How to choose your cloud provider
Understand which platforms are right for you and assess the benefits and the trade-offs
Picking a cloud provider is a matter of understanding your requirements, listing what you need now and in the future, and picking specific cloud services and your public cloud service provider. Sounds easy. But considering you’ve yet to dial in security, governance, management, and monitoring, as well as AI, serverless, and container capabilities, you’re actually looking at a very detailed process where the wrong outcome could mean direct failure—or, more likely, a solution that isn’t optimal and delivers negative value.
Expert David Linthicum takes the mystery out of picking the right cloud provider from options including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google, and Microsoft. He explores how to evaluate your own requirements, such as storage, compute, databases, governance, and security; how to create a weighted ranking and apply these to the major public cloud providers; how all of this fits into a multicloud and hybrid cloud strategy; and how to create micro and macro architectures. You’ll learn how existing applications move to the cloud, get a forward-looking vision of cloud-based technology, and discover what this means for choosing a public cloud solution. Along the way, David walks you through example analysis, rankings, weighting, and everything you need to make public cloud decisions and get it right the first time.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to understand your public cloud requirements
- How to pick public cloud services by leveraging math and common sense
- How to begin cloud services implementation and planning
And you’ll be able to:
- Create a list of services needed, weightings and rankings, and a unique process for selection
- Define requirements quickly without suffering analysis paralysis in light of the current public cloud market, including what’s emerging and what's important
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an IT leader charged with vendor selection in a constantly changing cloud market.
- You work with developers and need to understand how their needs differ from the enterprise.
- You want to become a master cloud computing architect.
- A basic understanding of computing, including compute, storage, and databases
Read "How to Choose a Cloud Provider” (book)
Read 10 Steps to a Digital Practice in the Cloud (book)
About your instructor
David Linthicum is the chief cloud strategy officer at Deloitte Consulting. A cloud computing thought leader, executive, consultant, author, and speaker, David was just named the #1 cloud influencer in a recent major report by Apollo Research. Over his career, he's served as a CTO five times, at both public and private companies, and a CEO twice. Through his more than 13 books on computing, more than 5,000 published articles, more than 500 conference presentations, and numerous appearances on radio and TV programs, David has spent the last 20 years leading, showing, and teaching businesses how to use resources more productively and innovate constantly, expanding the vision of both startups and established corporations as to what's possible and achievable.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Understanding what you need (55 minutes)
- Lecture: Requirements framework; requirements documentation and ranking
- Group discussion: Understanding your requirements
- Hands-on exercise: Define what you need
- Break (5 minutes)
Understanding how to select public clouds (60 minutes) - Lecture: What’s out there; secrets of public cloud computing - Group discussion: What clouds are you interested in? - Hands-on exercise: Map your high-level requirements for a cloud platform - Q&A