How to Choose Your Cloud Provider
Understand which platforms are right for you, and assess the benefits and the tradeoffs
Ever pick a cloud provider? It’s a matter of understanding your own requirements, creating a list of things that are needed now and in the future, picking specific cloud services, and the public cloud service provider. Easy right? Considering that we’ve yet to dial in security, governance, management and monitoring, as well as AI, serverless, and container capabilities, you’re actually looking at a very detailed process, where the wrong outcome could mean direct failure, or more likely a solution that’s not optimal and delivers negative value.
In this course we’ll take the mystery out of picking the right cloud provider, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google, and Microsoft. We’ll cover:
- How to evaluate your own requirements, including storage, compute, databases, governance, and security.
- How to use your requirements to create a weighted ranking, and apply these to the major public cloud providers.
- How all of this fits into a multicloud and hybrid cloud strategy, and how to create micro and macro architectures.
This includes how to understand existing applications moving to the cloud, the forward looking vision, and then how this translates into the mother of all shopping lists as you look directly at public cloud solutions. We’ll take you through the process including example analysis, rankings, weighting, and everything you need to make the right public cloud decisions, and get it right the first time.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to understand your own public cloud requirements.
- How to create a list of services needed, as well as weightings and rankings.
- How to pick public cloud services using a foolproof process where you’ll leverage both math and common sense.
- How to begin cloud services implementation and planning.
And you’ll be able to:
- Define requirements quickly, without suffering analysis paralysis.
- Create a process for selection that is unique to your needs.
- Define the current public cloud market, including what’s emerging and what's important.
This training course is for you because...
- You’re an IT leader...charged with vendor selection in a constantly changing cloud market
- You work with developers....and you understand their needs can differ from the enterprise
- You want to become a master cloud computing architect
- Basics understanding of computing, including compute, storage, and databases.
About your instructor
David Linthicum is the chief cloud strategy officer at Deloitte Consulting. A cloud computing thought leader, executive, consultant, author, and speaker, David was just named the #1 cloud influencer in a recent major report by Apollo Research. Over his career, he's served as a CTO five times, at both public and private companies, and a CEO twice. Through his more than 13 books on computing, more than 5,000 published articles, more than 500 conference presentations, and numerous appearances on radio and TV programs, David has spent the last 20 years leading, showing, and teaching businesses how to use resources more productively and innovate constantly, expanding the vision of both startups and established corporations as to what's possible and achievable.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Understanding what you need (60 minutes)
- Presentation: Requirements framework
- Discussion: Understanding your own requirements
- Presentation: Requirements documentation and ranking
- Exercise: Let’s define what we need.
- Break (5 min)
Understanding how to select public clouds (60 minutes)
- Presentation: What’s out there?
- Poll: What clouds are you interested in?
- Presentation: Secrets of public cloud computing.
- Exercise: Map your high-level requirements to a cloud platform.