Hands-on Multi-Cloud for Developers
Develop and Deploy applications in Multi-Cloud Environment using AWS, Azure, and GCP.
Developing a multi-cloud strategy is one of the most critical components of the budget allocation during the deployment phase. The ability to use more than one public cloud not only gives developers leverage in terms of cost but also has many advantages such as no single vendor monopoly or lock-in, easier routing of services between vendors and better resilience to DDoS attacks.
This course will help you deep dive into the respective cloud-native development and you will build the first modern, resilient, scalable relevant application for that cloud. The course will be supported by code examples. Next, you will deep dive into the monitoring and troubleshooting of each Multi-Cloud environment. You will also learn how to enable the Application Security for each multi-cloud environment. Towards the end of the course, you will know about the industry best practices for building multi-cloud environments and how to do application migration in detail.
By the end of this course, you will have a deep understanding of the multi-cloud platform and will be able to develop and deploy robust, efficient, scalable, and flexible cloud applications.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
- Develop cloud-native applications on the multi-cloud platform.
- Practice and acquire an in-depth understanding and knowledge of multi-cloud platforms.
- Extensive source code examples along with screenshots for Multi application development.
- Manage and troubleshoot Multi-Cloud application issues.
- Understand the industry cloud-native application best practices
- Application security controls for the multi-cloud environment.
- Multi-cloud migration strategy
This training course is for you because...
You are Cloud Developers, Architects, Consultants, DevOps Engineers, Managers and Leaders who are using AWS, Azure, and GCP to provide services to their end clients. You have basic prior knowledge of AWS, Azure, and GCP technologies with some programming experience. If you have a passion for the multi-cloud native development, then this course is ideal for you.
If you already have some experience with cloud-native development in AWS or Azure or GCP then this course can help you to speed up using multi-cloud environment in a fast-paced way.
- The following book is optional, recommended reading to prepare you for the training: Google Cloud Platform for Developers
Materials, downloads, or Supplemental Content needed in advance
- Github repo for the course: https://github.com/multi-cloud-training/Hands-on-Multi-Cloud-for-Developers (The material will be downloadable in real-time during the course. The size of the packages will remain small enough to that effect.)
- Create an AWS free tier account: https://aws.amazon.com/free/
- Create an Azure free account: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/
- Create a Google Cloud Platform free tier account: https://cloud.google.com/free/
- Connect your AWS, Azure and GCP environments with a VPN (The step-by-step screenshots will be provided later for the setup)
- Explore the Terraform multi-cloud library: https://registry.terraform.io/browse
- Explore the multi-cloud continuous delivery platform: https://www.spinnaker.io/
About your instructor
Kamesh Ganesan is a seasoned technology and cloud evangelist with over 21 years of IT experience working with all major technologies including AWS, Azure and GCP cloud. He has over 40+ IT certifications including 5 AWS, 3 Azure & 3 GCP certifications and he played many roles including Certified Multi-Cloud Architect, Cloud Native Application Architect, Lead Database Administrator, and Programmer Analyst. He architected, built, automated and delivered high- quality, mission-critical and innovative technology solutions that helped his commercial and government clients to be very successful and significantly improve their business value using multi-cloud strategy. Though experiences in various technologies have become his forte in all these years, resourcefulness, new and more productive ways to reach goals, passion to achieve new certifications and eagerness to learn new technologies never faded.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Section 1: Introduction to Multi-Cloud for Developers and Existing Enterprise application deployment code in GitHub repository: (1 hour)
- Lecture: Start with an introduction to multi-cloud and explain how it achieves performance, fault tolerance, cost efficiency and avoid vendor lock-in and swiftly go thru the process of getting trial accounts for AWS, Azure and GCP. Explore each cloud vendor portal and quickly explain the key services and its similarities/differences among each cloud providers.
- Lab: Explore the GitHub repository that will be used in this training
- Break: 10 mins
Section 2: Develop your Multi-Cloud strategy (Multi-Cloud Immutable Architecture frameworks and connectivity): (1 hour)
- Lecture: Explore the decision making strategy for multi-cloud based on cost, performance, reliability, security and compliance factors. Explain how we can split the applications, databases, backups for the multi-cloud environment. Build robust, scalable and flexible multi-cloud architecture using AWS, Azure, and GCP. Learn to set-up and test the VPN connectivity between these three key cloud vendors.
- Note: The multi-cloud architecture and connectivity setup will be achieved using Terraform which provides an infrastructure as code approach to the provision and manage any cloud, infrastructure, or service.
- Lab: We will be creating multi-cloud environments using AWS, Azure, and GCP and test the connectivity between them by using the site to site VPN.
- Break: 10 mins
Section 3: Deploying Multi-Cloud Environments: (1 hour)
- Lecture: Getting started with migrating your first application and database to cloud. Deploy the application and database from GitHub to AWS, Azure and GCP clouds and set-up the backup strategy in another cloud and also create CI/CD pipeline to Azure cloud.
- Lab: Deploy applications from GitHub repository to the Multi-cloud environment.
- Break: 10 mins
Section 4: Deploy your Mission Critical Application: (1 hour)
- Lecture: Learn how to deploy your microservices application in more than one cloud in the multi-cloud environment and load balance the workload. And learn how to easily migrate the Microservices Dockers application from AWS to Azure to GCP.
- Lab: Deploy and migrate Dockers in the multi-cloud environment and load balance the application using a global load balancer.
Section 5: Secure your Multi-Cloud with Security by design approach (1 hour)
- Lecture: Learn how to build security aware multi-cloud platform and explore the right tools/services for boosting the security. Learn how to make this multi-cloud platform more resilient against DDoS attacks.
- Lab: Deploy the mandatory security controls to secure the multi-cloud environment using Identity and Access Management.
- Break: 10 mins
Section 6: Build robust Multi-Cloud Monitoring Solution and Balance your workloads between various cloud vendors based on your own experience (1 hour)
- Lecture: This section has two parts; first we build the monitoring solution for the multi-cloud environment to monitor the performance, usage, latency, cost etc. Based on the experience we gain during the first part, we can move the workloads to appropriate cloud providers to avoid vendor lock-in, to reduce the risk of data loss and cost savings. For example, if we see cost savings for storage in Azure then migrating the storage from AWS and GCP to Azure.
- Lab: Setup monitoring in the multi-cloud environment and split the workload based on the usage, cost etc.
- Break: 10 mins
Section 7: Troubleshooting Multi-Cloud Environment and Multi-Cloud Best Practices and Real World Examples (1 hour)
- Lecture: Managing and troubleshooting the complex multi-cloud environment is a key for the success so let us explore some of the common issues like VPN connectivity issue, Performance issue and how to set-up alerting in this multi-cloud environment. Also, explore the industry best practices for multi-cloud and sample multi-cloud deployment architectures.
- Lab: Troubleshoot VPN connectivity issue, performance issue, and setup alerts.
- Break: 10 mins
Section 8: Choose the right cloud vendor for your enterprise application and database (1 hour)
- Lecture: Based on Security, Costs, Compliance, Manageability, Support and Service Levels of each cloud vendor, we can determine which cloud provider(s) we can use. Explore which workload is appropriate for which cloud, for example, windows workload most probably suitable for Azure cloud and Big Data and Analytics suitable for GCP and other common workloads are suitable for AWS cloud.
- Lab: Migrate workload from one cloud vendor to another seamlessly
Wrap-up: Summary, Discussions (30 min)
- Interactive Discussion on the basic and ground-breaking aspects of the course