DevOps on Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Deploy GCP using App Engine, Kubernetes, and more
Google Cloud offers a portfolio of DevOps services that can easily be deployed in Google Cloud Platform. The 5-hour live training course will walk you through the best ways to take advantage of Google Cloud Platform’s DevOps functionality so you can deploy with scalability and efficiency. The focus of the training will be around DevOps-focused services such as Kubernetes Engine, Cloud Build, Container Registry, Cloud Source Repositories and more. The training will also discuss extending your CI/CD pipelines to a hybrid solution on premises such as with tools with Jenkins.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
This training is focused on deploying applications with a DevOps focus in GCP. DevOps on Google Cloud can provide efficiencies in your software development cycles. Learning how these services work is the key to providing efficiencies in your software development cycles.
Major topics covered to understand DevOps on Google Cloud Platform
- Why Google Cloud Platform for DevOps?
- Understand key services such as Kubernetes Engine, Cloud Build, Cloud Source Repositories and Container Registry
- Understand when to choose App Engine or Kubernetes Engine for deployment of your containerized applications
- Deploy a Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment pipeline on GCP with App Engine
- Deploy a Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment pipeline on GCP with Kubernetes Engine
- Design a DevOps pipeline for development, testing, and deployment
- Participants will be able to: Setup a DevOps of pipeline in GCP with specified services covered in the course
This training course is for you because...
- You are an aspiring Cloud Developer on GCP who wants to get enabled in DevOps services with GCP
- You would like to understand App Engine and Kubernetes Engine at a higher level
- You are looking for a step by step walkthrough of deploying a Continuous Integration pipeline on GCP
- A basic understanding of general networking concepts, cloud computing, and multi-tier architectural design
- Basic understanding of what DevOps is and how it enables organization efficiency
- Kubernetes and docker container knowledge
- Basic proficiency with command-line tools and Linux operating system environments
- Basic development experience in either Go, Node, JS, Python or other common language
- Sign up for free GCP Tier(GCP Free Tier https://cloud.google.com/free/
- Use free GCP Codelabs (Codelabs) https://codelabs.developers.google.com/
- Watch Getting Started with Google Cloud Platform LiveLessons
About your instructor
Joe Holbrook has been in the IT field since 1993 when he was exposed to several HPUX systems on board a US Navy flagship USS JFK. He has migrated from UNIX networking world to Storage Area Networking(SAN) and then onto Enterprise Cloud/Virtualization and Blockchain Architectures. He has worked for numerous companies like HDS, 3PAR Data, Brocade, Dimension Data, EMC, Northrup Grumman, ViON, Ibasis.net, Chematch.com, SAIC and Siemens Nixdorf. He also has been a contract technical trainer for HPE (3PAR), Hitachi Data Systems, Training Associates, ITPrenuers and Global Knowledge. Joe is also a widely published course author on outlets such as Linkedin Learning, INE.com and Udemy.com
Currently Joe is the owner of a new upstart learning platform called myblockchainexperts.net and is based out of Jacksonville FL.
Joe is also a Certified Bitcoin Professional (CBP) and avid Blockchain and Cryptocurrency geek.
He also holds Industry leading certifications from Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Brocade, Hitachi Data Systems, EMC, VMWare, CompTIA, HP 3PAR ASE, Cloud Credential Council, Palo Alto Networks and numerous other organizations.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Segment 1 - DevOps Fundamentals on GCP
- The Basics (30 Minutes)
- What is DevOps and why is it important to software development?
- Why use DevOps services on GCP
- Role of 4Cs in DevOps
Application Development (20 minutes)
- Best Practices for Application Development with GCP
- Development Tools, creating Pipelines and Mainlines
- Google Cloud Client Libraries, Google Cloud SDK, and Google Firebase SDK
- Break: 10 minutes
Container-Based Services (30 Minutes)
- Use cases for choosing to deploy on App Engine or Kubernetes Engine
- Maintain Repositories in GCP with Cloud Source Repositories
- Maintain artifacts with Container Registry
- Build and test on a CI pipeline with Cloud Build
- Infrastructure as Code with Deployment Manager
- Break: 10 minutes
Segment 2 - Deploying Container Applications
- Deploying containers on GCP (110 Minutes)
- Deploying a containerized web application on Kubernetes Engine
- Deploying a microservices application on App Engine
- Break 10 minutes
- Use Cloud Build to create pipelines
- Use Cloud Build to identify package vulnerabilities
- Use Cloud Build and GitHub for automating continuous integration workflows
- Hands-On Exercise (20 minutes)
Deployment Scenarios (20 Minutes)
- Hybrid DevOps pipelines
- Federated DevOps pipelines
Review and Q/A (15 Minutes)