Building web apps with Vue.js
Build highly interactive websites quickly and easily
In this three-hour hands-on training course, expert Raju Gandhi walks you through building a full application using Vue. You'll start with the basics before moving on to writing custom components, using Vuex for state management, and using the Vue router to enable routing within your application. You'll leave with the experience you need to get quickly started on your next project in Vue or dive into an existing code base.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- How Vue works
- How to get started quickly on your next project using Vue
- How to compose your applications using components and have them communicate with each other using Vue’s unidirectional data-flow
- How to use Vuex for state management and the Vue Router to set up routes for single-page applications
And you’ll be able to:
- Assess if Vue is a good fit for your existing or new projects
- Get started and get productive with Vue quickly
- Understand the Vue ecosystem
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a developer looking to use Vue in an existing or new project, whether in just one part of your application or a full-blown single-page application (SPA).
- You're a technical lead attempting to assess if Vue is the right framework for your team.
- You work with other frameworks like React and Angular and want to learn how Vue is different and what it offers.
- The ability to clone a Git repository locally and run a local web server
- A basic understanding of how single-page applications work
- Read Vue.js: Up and Running (book)
About your instructor
Raju Gandhi is a programmer, consultant, speaker, trainer, and all-around nice guy. He has worked in the software industry for over 15 years and has experience in both government and private sectors. Raju is a practitioner of both Agile and DevOps methods as well as good programming and architectural patterns and believes that finding the right balance between such practices will allow us to deliver software that our customers cherish. He is also a strong advocate of functional programming and a proponent of immutability across both software and hardware. Raju is a regular speaker at conferences around the country (and occasionally around the world) and has routinely participated in the No Fluff, Just Stuff tour. In his spare time, you will find Raju reading, playing with technology, or spending time with his wonderful (and significantly better) other half.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Web components and the future of the web (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Web components and what they're made of
Vue.js beginnings (25 minutes)
- Hands-on exercise: Explore Vue and the Vue instance; mount an application; implement incremental interactivity and reactivity using Vue
- Break (10 minutes)
Single file components; component hierarchies (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Understanding a Vue CLI-generated project setup
- Hands-on exercise: Write a single file component (SFC); build a component hierarchy
Intercomponent communication (25 minutes)
- Hands-on exercise: Work with props; emit custom events
- Break (10 minutes)
AJAX and communicating with the backend (20 minutes)
- Hands-on exercise: Use HTTP GET and PUT using a third-party library (Axios); refactor to improve project organization and better reusability
- Group discussion: Smart components versus dumb components
Routing (20 minutes)
- Hands-on exercise: Pull in Vue Router; declare routes; navigate within your application
Next steps (10 minutes)
- Lecture: The Vue CLI; resources
- Hands-on exercise: Use Vue dev tools
Wrap-up and Q&A (10 minutes)