Building the skills to succeed as a remote worker in 90 minutes
Working in a remote environment is more than chatting in Slack and joining video stand-up calls. Without deliberate effort, many elements of work life—things like building rapport, improving through feedback, feeling included, and being productive—can be challenging.
Join expert Jevin Maltais to explore the key, undervalued components of work life that remote workers and their managers alike need to succeed. Along the way, you’ll cover common misconceptions, such as that one-on-ones should only be with the manager reviewing your work, that information is distributed equally within the team when people are remote, and that building relationships comes easily through video chats.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
What you'll learn — and how you can apply it:
- Best practices from some of the best remote companies
- Strategies for introverts and extroverts
- How to deal with the stress unique to remote workers
And you’ll be able to:
- Identify areas in your remote work where you can improve and develop a plan to do so
- Use tools to stay connected and build productivity
- Ensure you're not forgotten just because you're not in the office
- Build trust and rapport with your team and collaborate effectively
- Combat the isolation and loneliness as a remote worker
This training course is for you because...
- You work remotely or you want to work remotely.
- Take Building a Case to Start Working Remotely in 90 Minutes (live online training with Jevin Maltais)
- Write a list of challenges you experience as an employee, whether or not they’re related to remote work (sharing is optional)
- Read The Remote Worker's Survival Guide (report)
About your instructor
I’ve managed 50 people remotely in 10 years and a number of whom I’ve worked with for 5+ years. I’ve successfully helped a number of companies hire their first few international remote employees, most of which have stayed on long term with that company.
TheRemoteCTO.com (My Consultancy)- Built 15 web, mobile and machine learning products for clients around the world. Our team of 9 design/development spanned 6 timezones and we would release the first version of each product within 2 weeks from the start of development.
Triage.com - CTO - Managing a team of 13 data scientists, data managers and engineers remotely who worked all over the world.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Remote fundamentals and challenges (40 minutes)
- Lecture: Remote work; types of remote work and the benefits and challenges; the top challenges of working remotely; loneliness; building trust with your manager and team
- Group discussion: Working remotely; the top challenge for you working remotely today
- Break (5 minutes)
Challenges and actions (45 minutes)
- Lecture: Being left out of meetings and decisions; staying focused at home; building strong work relationships; the inability to switch off
- Hands-on exercise: Write up a five-minute plan on how to tackle your top challenge