Building a cloud roadmap
Planning for a successful and efficient cloud migration
Join expert Lee Atchison to learn best practices for and key challenges you may face when moving a modern software application to the cloud. Lee explains what systemic changes are needed in your company culture to support running in the cloud and walks you through modern software development processes that will help ensure your migration is a success. You'll discover how to improve visibility into the inner workings of your application to speed up the migration process and learn risk management techniques to optimize your migration success.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live online course, you’ll understand:
- What problems commonly occur during a cloud migration
- How to use a cloud migration as part of an overall application modernization strategy
- Dynamic application techniques that will improve your ability to leverage the cloud
And you’ll be able to:
- Identify key performance metrics to help determine when a migration has been completed successfully
- Build a high-level plan for effectively migrating your application to the cloud
- Use modern application monitoring tools to improve visibility into your application migration
This training course is for you because...
- You're an IT manager or director who is responsible for moving key applications in your organization to the cloud.
- You team has struggled with previous cloud migrations, and you need to improve your results in your next migration.
- Your organization is looking to modernize a mission-critical application, and you've been tasked with using the cloud as part of this process.
- Experience managing a software development or IT operations team or organization
- A general understanding of modern software development practices (DevOps, continuous deployment, QA-less testing, etc.)
- Familiarity with 12-factor applications and running applications in the AWS cloud
- A basic understanding of dynamic application principles (useful but not required)
- Experience building service- or microservice-based applications (useful but not required)
About your instructor
Lee Atchison is the Senior Director for Strategic Architecture at New Relic and runs New Relic’s Evangelism team. He’s been with New Relic for over five years where he led the building of the New Relic infrastructure capabilities and helped New Relic architect a solid service-based system. He has a specific expertise in building high scale, high available systems. Lee has 30 years of industry experience, and learned cloud-based, scalable systems during his seven years as a Senior Manager at Amazon.com, where among other things he led the creation of AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
Lee is a recognized industry leader in cloud migration and cloud adoption. He has published many articles and is quoted in articles on the subject. He regularly gives presentations at trade shows, conferences, and other industry events.
Lee is the author of the book “Architecting for Scale”, published in 2016 by O’Reilly Media.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Evaluating readiness for cloud computing (10 minutes)
- Lecture: Components of a modern application—microservices, DevOps, continuous deployment and testing in production, dynamic applications, leveraging the cloud, and rearchitecting and modernizing during migration; application dependencies and dependency management; the need for cultural transformation; modern development and operations processes; infrastructure out of your control; cloud options and capabilities; managing risk during a migration
- Hands-on exercise: Evaluate your readiness
Initial evaluation (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Determining baseline performance and performance expectations—establishing KPIs, measuring existing performance and baseline, and determining acceptance criteria; modularizing migration; resource requirements costs
- Hands-on exercise: Create a readiness plan and initial evaluation of your migration
Break (10 minutes)
Migration planning (40 minutes)
Lecture: Planning for refactoring—resource usage (dynamic cloud compatible), migration
- optimization, service architectures, what's necessary versus desired, and impact on resource costs; data migration; final cost validation
- Hands-on exercise: Explore your high-level migration plan
Scheduling your migration (25 minutes)
- Lecture: Instrumentation; premigrate refactoring; migrating each module and service; postmigration refactoring; checking acceptance criteria; required optimization
- Hands-on exercise: Outline your migration steps
Postmigration operational tasks (5 minutes)
- Lecture: Postmigration cost validation; resource optimization; continuous improvement
Postmortem, wrap-up, and Q&A (5 minutes)