Azure Architecture: Best Practices
Design considerations for modern cloud applications
Microsoft Azure is a vast cloud computing platform with more than 50 global regions used by 95% of fortune 500 companies. Businesses of all shapes and sizes are moving to Azure at record pace, but these organizations need skilled technologists with the right expertise to help them lead the way.
In this intermediate-level course, you’ll learn essential design patterns used to implement well architected applications in the Azure cloud. Find out how to implement key management, security, and governance practices used in the field today. Discover how real-world solution architects design scalable systems and build applications that support high availability and resiliency on the Azure platform. You’ll walk away from this course ready to take advantage of the opportunities available to those who are moving into the Azure cloud.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- How to design and implement cloud management and governance
- Common patterns for building scalable applications
- Best practices for resiliency and high availability
And you’ll be able to:
- Organize cloud resources to support security, policy enforcement, and cost optimization
- Implement load balancing, design for high availability, and site resiliency
- Architect elastic applications that scale dynamically or on-demand
This training course is for you because...
- You’re a developer, systems administrator, or technology architect who needs to understand the fundamental building blocks and best practices used for designing production-grade applications in the Azure cloud.
- You work with traditional on-premises IT infrastructure or other cloud platforms and need to pick up skills with Azure.
- You need to design and implement production applications in the Azure cloud.
- Experience with general networking concepts, systems administration, and familiarity with Windows or Linux
- An understanding of the principles and benefits of cloud computing
- A basic understanding of the Azure platform
About your instructor
Mike Pfeiffer is a twenty-year tech industry veteran who’s worked for some of the largest technology companies in the world including Microsoft and Amazon Web Services (AWS). He’s the founder and Chief Technologist at CloudSkills.io, a cloud consulting and training firm. Mike is a published author, international conference speaker, Microsoft Azure MVP, and host of the CloudSkills.fm podcast.
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
Azure Architecture Foundations (50 minutes)
- You'll learn the foundations of Azure subscription design and account structure, how to integrate cloud-based identity services with your existing resources, how to define and enforce organizational policies for cloud-deployed resources, how to leverage resource tagging to create a consistent and well-organized naming scheme, how to design solutions to secure your sensitive data using encryption, and how to create a strategy to monitor log data generated by cloud-based resources.
- Group Discussion: Implementing governance, policies, and naming schemes
- Break (10 minutes)
Cloud Application Architecture (50 minutes)
- Next, you'll learn a structured approach for designing cloud applications that are scalable, resilient, and highly available. You'll be guided through a selection of important considerations to help determine the best approach for your cloud-based applications which includes choosing the right architecture style for your application, incorporating common design principles to ensure your application is scalable, resilient, and manageable, and implementing established pillars of software quality to build a successful cloud application.
- Group Discussion: Comparing the trade-offs between architectural patterns
- Break (10 minutes)
Patterns and Best Practices from the Field (50 minutes)
- Finally, you'll learn how to implement core infrastructure best practices for designing, deploying, and managing your cloud solutions on the Azure platform. These best practices for implementing cloud-based compute, storage, networking, and security services come from Microsoft published guidance and experiences from the team at CloudSkills.io learned from working on real-world projects with customers in the field.
- Group Discussion: Comparing the pros and cons of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and managed Platform as a Service (PaaS) offerings on Azure.