Advanced TypeScript programming
Join Expert Yakov Fain for a hands-on exploration of advanced TypeScript programing concepts. Over three hours, you’ll learn the advanced TypeScript types and discover how to prepare your TypeScript apps for deployment with webpack and Babel.
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand how to:
- The role of bundlers
- How to prepare bundles that can work in browsers that partially implement a particular version of the ECMAScript specification
And you’ll be able to:
- Use advanced TypeScript constructs
- Read and write code that uses generics, mapped, and conditional types
- Prepare files for deployment using webpack and Babel
This training course is for you because...
- You already have some familiarity with TypeScript and want to take your skills to the next level.
- You like working with object-oriented languages (Java, C#, Python, etc.).
- You’re evaluating a framework that uses TypeScript.
- A machine with the Chrome browser, the free Visual Studio Code editor, and the current version of Node.js installed
- Take Introduction to TypeScript Programming (live online training course with Yakov Fain)
About your instructor
Yakov Fain is the co-author of the Amazon bestseller Angular 2 Development with TypeScript, as well as a number of other technical books on programming. Yakov works as a software architect at the IT consultancy Farata Systems and develops software products for the insurance industry. A Java Champion, he has taught multiple classes and workshops on web and Java-related technologies, presented at international conferences, and published more than a thousand blog posts (see https://yakovfain.com).
The timeframes are only estimates and may vary according to how the class is progressing
TypeScript generics (30 minutes)
- Group discussion: Structural versus nominal typing systems
- Lecture: Understanding generics; creating your own generic types; creating generic functions
- Hands-on exercises: Restrict types in generic arrays; create a generic interface comparator
Decorators (25 minutes)
- Lecture: The role of decorators; creating class decorators; creating method decorators
- Hands-on exercises: Create and apply a class decorator, @useSalutation; create a decorator to log trades
- Break (5 minutes)
Mapped and conditional types (40 minutes)
- Lecture: The readonly mapped type; declaring your own mapped types; other built-in mapped types; conditional types
- Hands-on exercises: Make all call properties readonly; remove the readonly qualifer from the class properties; change the method return type depending on the method argument
Tooling (40 minutes)
- Lecture: Source maps; the TSLint linter; bundling code with webpack; using the Babel transpiler; using Babel with TypeScript and webpack
- Hands-on exercises: Debug TypeScript code in the Chrome browser; configure webpack for TypeScript bundling; bundle a sample TypeScript project
- Break (5 minutes)
- Lecture: Type definition files
Wrap-up and Q&A (5 minutes)