Beginning Java, 2nd Edition
Java is one of the most important languages to learn, and is used in everything from enterprise system development to smartphones and game consoles. Learn the fundamental concepts of Java and how to use a key integrated development environment. You will also go beyond the basics with advanced concepts, features and functions, and learn to automate your project builds with Apache Maven.
Java is used by programmers in almost every area of software development. Having a working understanding of Java gives you the flexibility of building apps for the mobile and game industry, creating and maintaining enterprise-level software, and even programming robots!
This learning path contains self assessments – short, multiple-choice quizzes that you'll take as you work through a Learning Path. They give you quick insights into how you're doing and take the guesswork out of learning.
What you’ll learn—and how you can apply it
- Learn the Java language fundamentals—types, variables, flow control, and data structures and how to apply them to building an application.
- How to use the Integrated Development Environment—Eclipse. This will help with rapid development and testing of your Java Apps.
- Go deeper with features such as advanced data structures, inheritance, polymorphism, JDBC database operations, and GUI programming to move to a more professional approach to Java development
- Automate your Java builds with Apache Maven to add consistency to large product management, and manage large numbers of library dependencies in your project
This Learning Path is for you because…
- You're a programmer with some experience in another object-oriented language, and would like to expand your skillset to include Java
- You're a beginner Java developer and would like to get a more thorough understanding of tools and best practices to become an intermediate level Java developer
Prerequisites: Familiarity with object-oriented programming concepts
Materials or downloads needed in advance: Supplemental Content